Last night, about 10 minutes after we put the kids to bed the electricity went out. You'd think it wasnt a big deal considering they were already in bed. But we have a little fan in Jake's room to help with noise, so he protested when it turned off. The girls all share a room and Mackenzie has a lamp on her bed so she can read for a little while, and there's a night light in there for Jessica (otherwise she's been known to cry out in the middle of the night, run over and turn on the light to their room, then go back to sleep). Oh, how dependent we are on electricity!
So when the lamp and night light went out, they weren't happy campers. This morning they were telling us their version of it all. First they asked, "Did you know that the lights went out last night?!" LOL! Um. No! Really? Then they were telling us how Rebecca started to cry. Jessica promptly said, "I didnt cry. I was brave...like a little girl in church." I about fell over!
But you know, I guess for a little girl church is the easiest place to be brave. Ok, not just for a little girl, but big girls like me, too. And big boys.
There's so many times when I feel like I'm a complete failure as a mom and I'm going to totally mess them up forever. (Pause while I go pull the 17 month old out from under the bathroom sink cabinet. Dont call CPS on me though...there's only towels down there. But he's also a potty swisher, so that would be his next stop.) Then there's times when they say something so cute and funny...and true...that I'm so very glad God is filling in the gaps for me.
Oh, and since this is Montana and it's winter and the electricity went out for a good while during the night...we were ALL very thankful that we stayed all roasty and toasty because of this:
Yes, this is from a previous year, but I didnt take a picture of it this past year. Each spring we chop and stack wood...so it looks the same each year.
1 comment:
I really love the idea about being brave in church! I will share that one! Oh, and be careful about calling me an Okie! We live, literally, 1 mile from the Texas line and we'll be Texans forever, regardless of where we live. Okay, I feel better now! Thaks for sharing this story, it was a great smile for me!
Post a Comment