Friday, August 31, 2007

The End of Summer

Well, it's happening. Summer is coming to an end and here in Montana we covet our short summers and try to make the most of them. I cant help but feel a little cheated this year, though. This was a bad year for fires and as I posted earlier, with the air quality poor we were limited in what we could do. We have enjoyed this past week of clear skies, but unfortuneately the smoke is back again like it was before. Hey, Idaho! Get yer fires under control already! Also, July went on record as the hottest month in Montana...ever! Thankfully we got to miss most of that since we went down south. While it was up to 107 here, we were enjoying a cool 86 degrees down south. That's just mind boggling!

But, all in all it was a good summer, despite the smoke. We really, really enjoyed our trip south and it was SO good to see everyone! The girls got to take swimming lessons. They also went to VBS (Rebecca and Jessica) and basketball camp (Mackenzie) while Jake and I went hiking on some trails. As a family we only got to go hiking once and you can see pictures of that in the May/June 2007 slideshow. It was also a real treat to see our friends from New Mexico as they traveled up on their way to Washington.

Now, school starts on Tuesday and I guess you could say I have mixed feelings on it. It's going to be hard sending sweet Rebecca off to Kindergarten but I'm glad she has older sister with her. I remember how hard it was sending my dear Mackenzie off all by herself. However, I think the girls are trying to soften the blow for me because they've been fussing and fighting a lot lately! By God's grace I wont kick them out the door as I drive by. (I'm kidding. Of course I'll stop the car first.) Also, Jake has been working on cutting 4...yes four...teeth at the same time! It's not easy to catch a look at them (just imagine trying to hold onto a fish out of water) but from what I can tell, I believe the last one has finally broken through so hopefully the bear that has taken over will leave and I'll have my sweet, happy little boy back again!

And now for the best news I've heard in a while...drum roll, please...Beth Moore is coming to Billings!!!!!!!! Doin' the happy dance! Ok, so it's not until next September, as in 2008, but still. I can celebrate now, cant I? Yes, I'm a Beth Moore fanatic. Admittance is the first step, right? Hey, I'm just thrilled that I can get excited about things other than the tooth fairy actually remembering to come on the correct night, Hannah Montana marathons, and successfully changing a poopy diaper without getting it everywhere because the boy will just not be still for a second.

And while I'm on the tooth fairy topic...I never knew that monitoring the tooth fairy could be so stressful. Right, Jenni?! LOL! (I'm glad I'm not alone!) It's just another one of those things I never really put any thought into 10 years ago.

So there you have it. Our summer in a nutshell.

1 comment:

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

The tooth fairy thing is hard because I operate on the "out of sight, out of mind" method. When the tooth is placed under the pillow it is out of sight, never to be thought of again.