Just so you don't think all I do these days are book reviews...
I'm taking a break from cleaning and the kids' fall-out day. My parents and nieces are coming up this week and we're SO looking forward to it!! Well, the kids aren't yet because they don't know about it.
We've found it's best to not tell them about visitors/trips until the day of...the day before at the very earliest. Because 1) if I hear "when are they going to get here? is it time already? how much longer? why aren't they here yet?" 1,000 times I will run through the nearest wall. And 2) too many times the plans have fallen through and I hear 1,000 times how sad and upset they are and the million questions of why.
But I guess that means I need to get the house somewhat ready. At least clear off the beds and get more food in the house. Maybe even mop the floors. I might even go crazy and have all the dishes done before they get here. Maybe.
I might even tell the kids about them coming the day before so they will be motivated to help clean the house that much more!
This past week Mackenzie went to church camp...her very first time! It was so strange not having her here and tucking her into bed. I missed her more than I thought I would. I hoped she was having a good time and not too homesick.
We went and picked her up this weekend. About two seconds after I arrived and asked if she had fun she asked if she could come back next year. Great! Ok...so she had fun. Check.
Then after a couple hours of her non-stop talking (I mean, she's always non-stop talking, but she had to catch up a week's worth) I asked if she missed us. She said...
"No, I didn't think about you."
Pause.
"You didn't think about us?"
Laughing, "I mean, I did! But I couldn't think about you much otherwise I'd get sad, so I didn't think about you."
Funny girl! I laughed and assured her that was ok. So, she wasn't homesick. Check.
Oh and she also said, "I don't know why, but I'm just dying to ask this...How many spankings did Jessica get while I was gone?"
I asked if she was keeping a tally or something. She also wanted to know what all trouble the dog got into. Yeah, she's our trouble police. So, she's still trying to control everything and be bossy. Double Check.
So anyway, that is the reason for the fall-out day. The camp is located over where we used to live so we stayed all weekend and visited with friends. The kids played hard and now it's recovery time.
Oh and by the way, in case you were wondering...I did in fact forget the camera. So I didn't get to take any pictures of Mackenzie at camp. BUT, her "secret sister" at camp gave her a disposable camera so we will get those developed and see. I don't hold high expectations of picuture-taking from a nine year old's perspective. I imagine they will mostly be of other nine year old girls whom I don't know. And pictures of feet. And the sky. And a blurry picture of what might be a flower. Besides, it's a disposable camera. I actually have to take it to town and get it developed. Ugh. :o)
1 comment:
Disposable cameras are so last year, but wonderful for budding 9 yr old photographers.
I'm glad she had fun!
Post a Comment