Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why Life in the Estrogen Ocean? Part 2

I promise this post won't be as long as Part 1. (yeah, don't hold your breath!)


Last week I decided I wanted a new look for the blog. I've been pretty tired of the brown background for a while but hadn't bothered to change it. After a long Montana winter, I'm ready for spring. Ready for color. Ready for refreshment.


After changing the color and adding a picture of the ocean to match the theme I was all set! That was easy enough.


But...


I've noticed that many blogs have a sub-title where they are more descriptive of their blog's main theme. After mulling it over for a day I realized that the whole ocean thing was even more appropriate than I thought.



The ocean can be beautiful and calm on the surface and you can let the waves gently carry you. Life with kids can be beautiful and calm on the surface. It's unpredictable, so there are waves. Our day-to-day doesn't always go as planned and the unexpected will happen. But if you go with the flow and run with it, the adventure will carry you to fun and exciting places. If you fight it, you've only managed to wear yourself out. The waves are still there.



But underneath that calm surface is the undertow. I admit that I had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it correctly. When I did, this is what I read in the definition for undertow:


~ an underlying current, force, or tendency that is in opposition to what is apparent


Oh! So true! Kids have a tendency to be a force that is in opposition to what mom and dad are apparently trying to teach them. (or...they are just in opposition to a-parent, sorry I couldnt resist the play on words). Raising kids is not always easy and fun. Sometimes you get caught in that undertow and if you try to just go with the flow in those cases then you'll get dragged under and start to drown. (Oh how I've been there too many times to count.) Sometimes you've got to fight.


Oh no, you will NOT sass me! No, you cant watch cartoons all day long. Yes, you have to take a shower. Yes, you have to do your chores. No, you cant have a sleep-over at (that horribly bad influence) so-and-so's. Do NOT hit. Be nice to your sister. Be nice to your sister. Be nice to your sister.


Yeah, those are pretty "mild" but you have to fight those "mild" ones if you're going to have any credibility on the "major" ones later.

4 comments:

Shiann Metheny said...

That is a great perspective and so encouraging while being very realistic. I work with kids who can't handle the little or the big things because they weren't handled early on. Even though it is hard, you go, momma!

I need to know what you did to get your blog so sophisticated-looking! Please email me specifics, if you don't mind: wbhcounselor@gmail.com. Thanks!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, I was just dropping by and found myself on your blogroll. I am very, very honored. I'm glad I found you and am enjoying your posts that introduce you and your thoughts. Love the significance of the blog name!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Girl, you cracked me up with your comment full 'o bloggy love on my site, although everybody who reads it will scratch their heads or roll their eyes. But you totally made my day. Thanks, sweet friend.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Preach on sister! We have some good friends who just let the undertow pull them under. Their kids are so out of control that no one wants to keep them, including g-parents. Now, he's been in the hospital since Friday and she can't get anyone to help her with the kids. Honey and I volunteered because we love them so much, but it's a sad situation to be in. It's been an inspiration to us to stick to what we've been doing. . .this too shall pass.