Friday, May 30, 2008

You Know You're a Mom When...

...ok, so I really don't have to tell you when you know you're a mom. But today was just one of those days.

I had to go to the dentist to get that fun little contraption that is supposed to help my jaw issue. Oh yes, it's just stunning, but if it helps I'm all for it. Still, I'm having braces/retainer flashbacks and even Mackenzie laughed at me and said "I still don't get it. Why did they give you that?" Never mind. Go do the dishes. (That'll teach her to laugh at her mom who now talks with a lisp. At least I have some power over my ridiculers, unlike in my teen years.)

I digress...

So I sent one child off to meet the school bus and loaded the other three in the rig to drop off at two different places. Don't ask why...it's just my life right now.

But right before I do, I sit down to put Jake's shoes on and I sit right in some oatmeal. Nice. You know how I knew it was oatmeal? Because when I stood back up I said out loud to no one in particular, "What did I just sit in?" Rebecca leans her head around my rump for closer examination and says, "Oh, that's oatmeal."

Run, go change my pants (not shorts, because it's only going to get up in the 60's...na na na na naaaa naaaaaaa). Drop one kid off then remember I've GOT to pay a particular bill TODAY.

Run back home. Pay the bill. Drop the other two kids off, go to the dentist and feel like a kid again myself.

I'll spare you my other 5 errands, but it was SO nice going into a store allbymyself! I felt like I was naked missing an appendage or three. Until...

I have to get groceries. Now, I'm a list person. Have to have my list or I'm lost. And have to mark items off the list or I stand there staring at it forever trying to remember what I got already. So I dig around for a pen. No pen. No pencil. No eye liner. The only thing I have in my purse is a crayon. I'm sure I looked lovely perusing the grocery store with my handy dandy crayon marking off items in my handy dandy notebook.

Actually, it only bothered me for about 11.3 seconds and then it somehow didn't seem strange to me.

Oh and to top off my "wondernous" mom day, I COMPLETELY forgot I was supposed to send a dozen of a baked item for a bake sale to school with Mackenzie. Dropped the ball on that one. I felt like a real winner, let me tell ya.

Not to mention the birthday gift I'd bought for Rebecca and then abandoned in another store. At least I realized it was gone, after I got home. I called and they are holding it for me.

Honestly...I thought I had a pretty good day...until I typed all this up. I wondered why I was so snappy with the girls when they were "helping" me in the garden this evening.

Sorry, no Jessica stories this time. She must be saving up for a good'n.

No comments: