Yesterday I went to the dentist. Finally.
I'm embarrassed to say that it had been 4 years since I'd been and I was really dreading it. We had moved twice since I'd gone before and I just really hate trying out new doctors/dentists/optometrists/etc. I also tend to put "me" off and make sure the kids get all the appointments they need. It's not right or ok, but we moms tend to do that, don't we?
As the assistant was shoving the sharp plastic contraptions for the x-rays, one by one, into my mouth we talked about...our kids. Shocking, I know. Come to find out, she also had 3 girls then a boy and her third child's name is Jessica, and her Jessica and my Jessica have the very same personality. The. Very. Same. There was plenty of fodder for us to talk about.
Since her kids are older than mine (her Jessica is 14 years old, mine is 5) I just had to ask if it gets any easier. The short answer? Nope. Sorry. Her Jessica told her recently that she wants to ride a bull. For some reason that didn't surprise me in the least, knowing my Jessica.
But even though our Jessicas will provide us with plenty of grey hair, we both can see the amazing potential for their lives. They are full of fire and passion and aren't scared to take a leap. Whether they look first is another matter. But they aren't scared to find out what's going to happen. In fact, sometimes they know full well the future punishment/consequence if they go thru with [insert any action here] and will proceed without a hint of hesitation.
That's where Jessica and I are so different. I'm a scaredy cat. She's a tiger. I'm cautious. She throws caution to the wind. I weigh the situation carefully. She races full speed ahead and asks questions later. I watch and wonder. She does and knows.
Yes, Jessica could "drive me to drinkin'," as they say, but what an adventure she is. She is like watching an action movie where you think you could never do that (but wish you could) and are amazed and impressed with the character's courage and ability.
Jessica, I cant wait to find out what you do with your life. I hope I never crush your spirit in my attempts to teach you and train you for a godly (and obedient) life. Without direction, you'd just be wild for wild's sake. But by God's grace and mercy may I aim you, my arrow, straight and true. And when I let go, I can trust God to propel you straight to his bulls eye. (Just please, no bull riding, ok?)
1 comment:
Oh, I loved that post.
Post a Comment