Thursday, May 1, 2008

Taco Soup

Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee is in a desperate situation. She's got college boys storming her house soon and she needs food ideas! So this is for you, Linda...

I got this recipe from Jenni's mom back when we were in college. It was one of the few "real" foods we ate. And boy, did we eat it!

It's still a staple in my house and I get all kinds of compliments on it...here up north where they've never heard of such a (southern) thing. Taco Soup? You put tacos in a soup? No. But did I mention that it's GOOD?



Taco Soup

1 lb ground beef, browned & drained
1 can corn (I drain mine...depends on how "soupy" you want it)
1 can pinto beans
1 can Ranch Style beans (or "chili beans" will do if you can't find "Ranch Style" up north...and right now my southern readers are gasping in disbelief that Ranch Style beans aren't available everyhere....sadly, neither is Sonic or Chic-Fil-A)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced Rotel tomatoes
1 small can diced black olives
1 pkg taco seasoning (dry mix)
1 pkg Ranch dressing (dry mix)




Mix all ingredients & cook for 30 minutes in big pot (or cook in crock pot). To serve - crush plain Dorito or Tostito style chips in bowl, pour soup on top, sprinkle with schredded cheese.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SJ-
I actually got this recipe from your mom...and have tweaked it some...I add extra green chiles, a can of black beans, I use the white and yellow corn mix and I don't do the olives or extra tomotoes. I think the ranch seasoning is the trick. I served it at Bunco, and it was an immediate hit! I served toasted green chili cheddar bread with it (from Great Harvest Bread Company here), and it was DELICIOUS!!!

Love and miss you! Your last few blogs have had me giggling non-stop!

Shiann Metheny said...

Good recipe! The first time we lived in Arkansas, Ranch Style beans had not moved into the state yet. It was the weirdest experience, since they added slaw to their BBQ sandwiches, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Ummm, good stuff!