My most recent down to earth moments:
Courtesy of Jessica - She and I were
"When is your belly going to get bigger? Is there a baby in your belly?"
NO!
Gotta love 'em!
Courtesy of Rebecca - The other day Stan and I were chopping firewood while the kids stacked it. I'm by no means an expert wood splitter, but it is really cool to hear that wood CRACK right in two on the first swing. Not that I get it done in one swing all that often.
Anyway, this was the first time I split wood since spring, so I was a little rusty. I did what I always do...I scanned the pile of logs for one with the least amount of knots and preferably one that already has a crack in it! Gotta build that confidence up before trying a difficult one.
I swung. Thud. I swung again. Thud. And again. Thud. And again and again and again. I don't think I ever hit the same place twice. I was just about to really let it have it (or else pick up the log and throw it...but it was pretty heavy, so I decided not to since it'd only land on my toe anyway) when Rebecca says...
"Mom, are you trying to write your name in that?"
Oh, they kid. Or not. I looked at the top of the log and realized if I'd just swung a few at an angle I probably would have written my name in it after all.
Courtesy of Jake - Nothing shows you're a mom who has it all together like a screaming, hitting, beet-red toddler in a very crowded Wal-Mart.
I mean, really. People! You've all seen a screaming toddler before. Why do you feel the urge to stare, stare, bugger-bear at the mom with one in Wal-Mart? She's frazzled and embarrassed enough as it is. I know...you're just glad it's not you.
It'd be really wonderful if there were some kind of switch to turn on said toddler when we go in public that would make him be sweet and quiet the whole time. But there's not. *sigh*
Too bad I can't just do like Jessica and hide underneath the clothes racks when he does that.
Courtesy of Mackenzie - Well, Mackenzie is just at that pre-teen age where huffing and puffing and attitude and crying and complaining and pestering make you want to run through a wall. Those days of the cute cuddly baby with a mop of little blond ringlets all over her head are gone. When she would run her hand down my hair and say, "Oh, piddy!" (pretty)
Now it's smelly feet and PMS even though she's not in the PMS stage yet. (How far in advance does the "pre-" stand for anyway? Years? Ok, thanks...that's good to know.)
Alright...I just can't leave it at that. There is redemption.
I also have to say that the other day I was putting on make-up and the girls came in and asked why I had to wear it. I told them it was so that I'd look prettier.
They said, "But you already ARE prettier."
Yeah, I know. All together now...AWWWWWWWWW!!
3 comments:
As opposed to my kids. When they see that I've actually gotten dressed and put on makeup, they run to find their shoes and wonder where we're going...
Cant wait for these moments!! Found your blog on the blog door. IM going to read some more!
A while ago my kids were telling me "Mom, I like your hair down." I mean wake up, bed head..."Mom, your hair looks good just like that. Please wear it down." I finally asked them what was the deal. My 4 year old daughter says, "Mom, your mean when you have your hair in a ponytail." Talk about your attitude checks! Yea, if my hair is up, I usually have an agenda of cleaning and we aren't going anywhere fun. But I'm trying to be nicer and smile with my hair in a ponytail more!
Post a Comment