Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Garden Makeover Update

Well, I know it seems as if I haven't done anything about the flowerbed remodel. But really, I have. And not just me...the whole family pitched in - not all voluntarily, though. (If you need to catch up...click here for the previous garden posts.)


The girls and I picked up rocks and rocks and more rocks, shoveled them up, hauled them off. But just like eating Ramen noodles...you work and work at it, but it never seems to end.


Finally Stan had pity on me and in one day we got out there, with his man-power, and we finally got rid of all the rocks, took out the old weed paper (whatever it's called), pseudo-tilled the dirt clay underneath, added some compost, laid down more weed paper, and spread the soil pep.


I should have taken a picture then, because I'd only gotten about 1/3 of the soil pep that we needed. So it sat there, half naked for a few days until I could get to town to buy more.

So anyway...here's the before picture (taken about this time last year):



And here's the after (although I still need more soil):

Next we started planting. I'm wishing I just waited and bought the plants so I could see some quick results, but oh well. I'll still need to get some anyway to fill in the missing spots. At least I have the plants I started from seed...and the now sad-looking columbine that I'd gotten earlier too.

Here's Jake helping with the seedlings and the bare roots/bulbs (yeah, should have planted those at least a month ago...but winter has been taking it's sweet time leaving):


And here's Mackenzie helping me with the columbine:





By the way, the hollyhock didn't make it. I didn't mourn too much, though.

I'm not finished planting, so I'll post more later. Please tell me this isn't a huge mistake...with a dog who likes to dig, the elusive rabbits (and deer), and a little boy who also likes to dig.

No comments: